Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Numb3rs


No, not the TV show... though it does sound interesting. Note to self: add that show to the DVR schedule.

I'm talking about numbers in my real life. Here's just a few about me:
  • Age: 27 years
  • Height: 5' 9"
  • Weight: 235 pounds
  • BMI: 34.7 (Obese Class I)
  • waistline: 40"

Here are some others:
  • Distance to bus station: 1.6 Miles (each way)
  • Total Commute Distance: 19.1 Miles (each way)
  • Estimated mixed-mode commute time: 1.25 hours (each way)
  • Odometer on van: 160719 miles (on January 1st)
  • Checking account balance: $3.50 ± $5.00 (whoops)

What does it all mean? I honestly have no clue. I'd like to get the weight, BMI, and pants sizes to go down, with the minimal increase in Age. Height is best left to genetics (for now).

It also means that if I drove to the bus station every work day for a year that would equate to:
1.6 miles * (10 trips / week) * (50 weeks/year) = 800 miles
That's 800 miles if I never use the bike. That doesn't include other trips, of course, but gives an idea of a number I should stay below for the year. I sure wish my bike had an odometer. That would be handy, no? Too bad I'm not going to be getting a Cyclocomputer any time soon (see Checking account balance).

Where am I at with my gameplan? The bike is almost ready. There are still some minor preparations to be made, but its mostly "green light, go" on all items. I expect to be on the road tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your decision to commute on your bicycle. I've been commuting to work an average of three days per week since June 2008. Let me know if you have any questions (equipment, etc.)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, Justin. For now, my equipment is very minimal. I'll be posting about my gear (and lack thereof) soon.

    ReplyDelete